How to Find Arbigland Estate
To Carse Bay Holiday Chalets
- Take the A710 Solway Coast road out of Dumfries.
- Go through Islesteps and New Abbey (note the village shop on your left).
- Turn off the A710 into Kirkbean, go though the village heading for Carsethorn.
- Go across a stone bridge over a burn and take the next right (signed Arbigland Farm Deliveries and Carse Bay Chalets) then the first left down a farm track.
- The chalets are at the end on the left.
To the House on the Shore, Shore Cottage and the Estate Office:
From Dumfries/ the North, South and East.
- When you get to Kirkbean on the A710 go left into the village then right by the kirk following signs to Arbigland and Paul Jones Cottage.
- Follow this road for about a mile out of the village, go up a hill and take the second left signed to Canabony and the House on the Shore.
- You are now on estate roads, please drive slowly and mind the potholes!
- Go past the farm at Canabony down a slope and round a bend to the right.
- Take the next left by a cedar tree at the back of the big house signed the House on the Shore and Shore Cottage.
- Follow the drive down remembering to hoot on a steep bend.
To West Lodge and Powillimount Cottage
- Take the A710 to Kirkbean turn off into the village then right by the kirk signed to Arbigland and Paul Jones Cottage.
- Follow this road out of the village past the village hall and up a hill. Ignore 3 turnings to the left, the last of which is the white painted gates to Arbigland House and the John Paul Jones Museum. Follow on around 2 sharp bends for a quarter of a mile. The turning down to the cottages is on the left just past Moor Cottages on the right. If you get to Maxwellfield Farm you have gone too far.
- West Lodge is halfway down the road on the left. Powillimount Cottage is at the bottom of the hill on the right before you get to the farm. The holiday cottage is the one farthest from the road.
From Stranraer and the West
- Get off the A75 at Castle Douglas and follow the A745 to Dalbeattie.
- From Dalbeattie take the A710 to Kirkbean then follow the directions as above.