West Lodge Holiday Accommodation
This delightful 19th Century gate lodge was at one time the estate schoolhouse, which might account for the unusually ornate slatework on the roof, which makes it look a little like a gingerbread house!
Although it looks small on the outside the Lodge provides comfortable accommodation for 4 people. It is all on one level and therefore ideal for older people (although note that the doors may unfortunately be too narrow for some wheelchairs).
It has some of the best views on the estate across the Solway Firth to the Lake District and the Isle of Man, along the Colvend Coast taking in Southerness lighthouse and the Portling cliffs and across rolling farmland to Criffel Mountain.
Good walks can be had from the door, especially down onto Powillimount beach just 500 metres away. It sits at the end of the West Avenue leading from Arbigland House where it meets the lane running down to the sea at Powillimount.
Features of West Lodge holiday cottage
West Lodge is a comfortable cottage with two double/twin bedrooms with bathroom/shower room and lavatory, all on the ground floor .
There is a large open plan living area with a woodburning stove and door leading from the kitchen area out to the garden where you can enjoy a BBQ watching the sun set behind Criffel. As you would expect it has every mod con and includes bed linen, heating, electricity etc.
It has a lovely (fenced) cottage garden, which boasts two palm trees! With woods, hedges and fields all around the birdsong here is a rich orchestral symphony.
- (from 20 Aug 16) Broadband Wi-Fi so that you can stay in touch on holiday
- A large enclosed garden,
- 1 double and 1 twin bedroom with hotel grade beds,
- 1 bathroom/shower room (downstairs),
- an open plan living room/kitchen/dining area with a log burning stove (initial supply of logs included)
- a well equipped kitchen with electric stove, family sized fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, microwave etc.
- bedlinen and towels
- oil fired central heating (8 hours per day included Oct-April)
- tv/dvd, books, puzzles & games
- good mobile reception in the cottage (for most networks)
- outside shed with barbecue and garden furniture
- a large enclosed garden and off road parking for 2 cars.